Wednesday 8 May 2013

Bel Canto (2001) (novel)

Bel Canto is Patchett's fourth novel and is based on the Lima Crisis of 1996.

I first read this book a little over a year ago, and was attracted to it mainly because it had picked up several awards and prestigious accolades – most notably the Orange Prize for Fiction and the Faulkner Award for Fiction. Quite a reputation to live up to, but it more than fit the bill and in fact reinvigorated my passion for reading, which had grown stale due to commitments in my student life. It is for this reason that it seems appropriate that this book be the first I share with you readers.

First to give a general outline of the book - it follows the experiences of an international group of political/famous hostages and the terrorists who are keeping them prisoner, and shows the deepening relationship between the two groups who each come to think of the other as there form of freedom. The book lends its name from an Italian operatic term, and this seems oddly fitting, because, like opera music, this book has many rises and falls and an uncanny ability to sneak into your subconscious and surprise you with its power. I think the concept of such a book was brilliant on Ann Patchett's part because it is such an original way to look at the terrorist/hostage situation (rather than just taking a "oh-these-evil-terrorists-have-ruined-my-life", "what-to-do" slant). Not to disrespect such a subject, but a refreshing perspective can be good for the soul, and this book certainly offers that fresh perspective. Instead of studying the terrorists for their crimes, Patchett instead studies them for their lives and their hopes, and most importantly, I feel, their logic. Though I suppose it is important and respectful to remember that Patchett’s interpretation of this terrorist culture within the novel is purely fiction.

Another aspect I enjoyed in this novel was the direction Patchett took the narrative. By keeping it largely in third-person she avoided the reader from only getting one perspective and view-point, though still maintained an emotional "spirit" (cliché, I know) which allowed the reader to empathise and understand nearly every character, which is quite a feat considering the multitude of nationalities we are dealing with in this novel.

If you are interested in more of Patchett's (pictured above) work then you can view her website HERE. I would recommend Bel Canto along with another of her novels State of Wonder. 
My favourite characters, as I'm sure most people who have read the novel would agree, were Gen (first and foremost), Carmen and, oddly (considering he was mainly a bit-part character), Father Arguedas. These characters really stood out for me because there emotional journey were the ones which seemed to personify the direction of ALL the characters and the changing relationship between terrorist and hostage.

I'm not going to give any spoilers but I also loved the two romantic relationships which developed through the course of the book (one more than the other).

A warning, if you're a reader who NEEDS a happy and somewhat obvious ending then I'd reconsider 'Bel Canto'. I must admit I didn't particularly enjoy the ending - it just didn't satisfy the emotional connection I felt for a few particular characters. It is also one of the most surprising endings I have ever read. Seriously, I DID NOT see it coming - though to Patchett's credit it is also probably the most realistic ending.

To cut a long story short…
Would I recommend this novel? Yes. I loved this novel. Though word of warning, it took me about 60 pages to really get into it - so to reluctant readers, be patient. Star rating?


That’s it for now folks…

No comments:

Post a Comment